ABOUT THIS ENTRY
Since the partnership was announced in January 2020, Barstool Sportsbook and Casino has become one of the leading interactive gaming platforms in the US.
How does this represent “Excellence in Engagement”?
- Since launching in September 2020, the Barstool Sportsbook has handled nearly $400M in wagers.
- The Barstool Sportsbook has generated over 17% of all revenue in PA since its first full month of operations (October 2020), despite launching more than a year later than most of its major competitors.
- The Barstool Sportsbook generated 24% market share in Michigan during its launch in January 2021, and was the only major operator to generate positive net revenue ($1.6M). This work will inspire and move the industry forward by being the first media company to partner with a casino company (others have joined on the trend since the Penn/Barstool Sports announcement), and the first to grow a sportsbook and its entities both in-app experience and casinos driven by personalities. The Barstool Sportsbook has spent no money on promotion other than showcasing personality driven content to inspire, engage and enhance responsible betters, Stoolies and the casino industry to take the gambling experience “to the moon” in the words of President and Founder, Dave Portnoy.
- Promote the Barstool Sportsbook app and Penn National Gaming’s retail casinos.
- Create original content to serve an audience of 66M monthly uniques.
- Become leaders in responsible gaming.
- Enable users to interact with Barstool personalities online and in-person.
Strategy & Execution:
- Create a 360 approach while aligning top influencers (Dave Portnoy, Dan Katz, Logan Paul & Nick Mercs, etc.) to connect content and fans.
- Execute geo-focused rollouts via social and event marketing initiatives at 41 properties across 19 states.
- Saw a record 21,000 downloads per day in its first weekend (Sept, 2020) in Pennsylvania, the only state where it was operational. In its 4th month, Barstool finished first among PA’s sportsbooks for revenue ($33 million total revenue; Barstool accounted for 42%).
- Raised more than $3M to support small business impacted by Covid-19 through The Barstool Fund
Penn National Gaming
BRANDS AT THE LIVE SERIES
CONTENT x SPORTS BETTING
Over two days, sports betting + media will converge to discuss the North American fan. Learn the insights and strategies needed to develop partnerships, create and monetize betting content, and drive critical revenue and engagement.
May 12-13, 2021 (Virtual)
TRANSFORMING THE NEXT DECADE
Hashtag Sports® is the leading platform for media and marketing professionals and the next generation of creative talent across the converging sports and entertainment industries.
From unparalleled experiences like our annual conference and the Hashtag Sports Awards presented with Budweiser to inspirational digital content and mission-driven initiatives, Hashtag Sports is the benchmark for fan engagement and the go-to resource for the development of a new sports and entertainment ecosystem powered by digital media, content, culture, purpose, and technology.